So I officially decided that I would try to improve my cleverness and make every blog title a line from a movie; 10 points to whoever can guess this post's movie! Life has been pretty normal around here. My final anatomy test is this week, so I am studying hard. Holly is starting to look for more full-time work. Our front yard is now under construction... You see, when we moved in, I told our landlord that I had worked two years in lawn care and that I would treat the weed-overgrown lawn myself if he would pay for the materials. Well he's a great guy and a real go-getter, and my conversation with him about the lawn turned into tearing out all the grass front and back, laying sod in the front, laying seed in the back, and re-pouring concrete for our front steps, walkway and sidewalk. So there are people doing work at our place every day. They should be done this week.
Two Saturdays ago, St. Louis had the Great Forest Park Balloon Race. Forest Park is St. Louis' equivalent of Central Park in NYC... It's huge. Events in the park included hot-air balloons flying around, lots of food, several shows (dance companies, etc.) and skydivers (pictured). Because it was incredibly hot, we only made it for the skydivers.
This past weekend, we enjoyed a relaxing weekend with friends and the General Conference of the Church. All sessions were just great. Then yesterday, we got back from a camping trip to a local conservation area about an hour away. This was our first camping trip together and will go down in history as our "worst-prepared for." We don't have much camping gear, and the little we did have, we forgot! Of course we remembered sleeping bags and tents and camp chairs, but we forgot our cool little camp table and our LANTERN! We set up camp in the almost-dark. We were saved by a cigarette-lighter plug-in light that my grandpa put in our car many years ago and two little key-chain flashlights I had in my first aid kit. I felt like a true boyscout when I remember I had stored those away in case we needed them. Holly did a great job taking care of food, and we roasted hot dogs for the first time on our new little barbecue.
The next morning we realized how NOT-alone we were in the forest. As you all know, Holly loves all types of insects and bugs but mostly the creepy, 8-legged variety. Not only did we encounter our fair share and the neighbors fair share of spiders, we were cordially greeted with a "Welcome to St. Louis and the Mississippi-River Basin!" from several other species of locals (see pictures). It was a great overnight stay, and we were glad to return home.
Life is great, and we're happy together.
The title is from the movie, Bugs Life.
ReplyDeleteI think Heavenly Father was bored one day and decided to see how many critters he could come up with, to give the females something to scream about. Aren't we so glad he has a sense of humor. :o)
I LOVE that you are the one blogging Devin! I was excited to find it on Angie and Craigs list! Can't wait to hear more about your lives in St. Louis.
ReplyDeleteI was super excited to see that you guys have your own blog!! I've been thinking about you guys a lot and I am so excited to be able to get a sneak peak of your newlywed lives in the big city!! Thanks for the updates Devin!
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to call you hol, we'll have to catch up sometime!