Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Nearly everybody gets twitterpated in the springtime..."

Now for the real post to bring you up-to-date. Holly finally secured a great job in her field a month or so ago. She is working at a center that helps people with disabilities get out in the community and learn social skills. They do lots of things from simply going to the mall to walk around to volunteering at community centers. She enjoys this job much better than Subway and now only comes home stressed from the driving. She does a lot of driving at this new job and recently received her chauffeur's license! Yes, she is legit... so legit that I'm not allowed to drive our car anymore :(

Only kidding. Well we had our first parent visit to us here in St. Louis about a week ago when my parents and sister came to visit. The weather was great. It was sunny in the 60s and 70s, and we found a lot to do. Luckily, it was my spring break, so I had time to take them around and show them the city. We visited the Cahokia Indian Mounds which are just over the river in Illinois. Very interesting given our knowledge of Book of Mormon history. We also took a day trip to visit Hannibal, MO, childhood home of the famous author Mark Twain whose real name is actually Samuel Clemens. We also visited the zoo, history museum and medical campus. It was a great visit, and we loved having them.



Unfortunately, Holly's spring break was the following week (last week) and is the week between the visit of my parents and the visit of her parents! Quite annoying, but we're making it work. We also had about 5 inches of snow yesterday! It was March 26th! This storm came after the great weather of a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully it will clear up for Holly's parents to come visit on Wednesday. The snow was great for snowman building with the neighbors.



We will soon be finalizing plans for the summer, including finding out whether or not I will receive a paid research fellowship. I'm optimistic that I will, and it will be a great experience and a great addition to my medical resume.

In other news, we've caught several mice... oh did I forget to mention we have mice? Oh yes... we hear them late at night scurrying in the ceiling. Last night, as we were babysitting for our upstairs neighbors, one ran out from under the couch (we had the lights out watching a movie) and scared us (me) pretty badly! We're going to set up more traps. We haven't seen any on our floor since a couple months ago when we caught a few. Hopefully, we can get rid of them without having to resort to extreme measures. All things considered, life is great. We're getting to know people better, just in time for all our friends to graduate and move away :(. Hopefully, we can maintain contact and make new ones.

2 comments:

  1. The sticky paper traps are the best...we get them too. YUCK!
    Heather said you guys were planning on coming for the 4th of July reunion...hope so! It would be fun to see you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will not matter what the weather is. We are going to have so much fun just being with you guys.I love that the snow man is sporting a BYU hat. nice touch! As for the mice, not a big deal for us. They don't scare me, they are just dirty little buggers. maybe Dad should bring his new gun and we can take pot shots at them. I'm sure your landlord would love the new holes.
    Oh! I almost forgot...I think the heading is from Bambi, or Fox and the Hound.

    ReplyDelete